Who is eligible for the retiree plan?


In order to be eligible for coverage under this policy, you must be a member of the Saskatchewan Municipal Retirees Association (SMRA). To qualify as a member of the SMRA you must be retiring from an organization who is a member of SMRA or the Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities (SARM). This includes any employee who worked for a municipality or other local institution under the Cities Act, Municipalities Act and the Northern Municipalities Act. Also, any employees who worked for the Saskatchewan School Board that falls under the Saskatchewan School Boards Association and also anyone who works for a health region of Saskatchewan. This program excludes teachers and Nurses.


Are the benefits expensive?


Actually for what you are receiving our product is very competitively priced. The benefits you have received from your employer in the past are subsidized by your employer, in most cases, between 50 and 75%. In many cases our product is less money than the true cost of your benefits while you were employed. Once you retire, you are responsible for 100% of the cost so it can seem expensive.



Does it cost more the older I am?


The SMRA Retiree Plan does not discriminate against age. Everyone pays the same amount. The only price difference will depend on which option you choose. Premier or Basic, and Single, Couple, or Family. The cost of the plan may raise each year by a small amount but this is standard with any benefit plan. You may see increases in premium due to two factors. Rising Drug Costs and Inflation.



Is the drug coverage per person or per household?


Per person.



If I choose the basic plan now, can i move up to the premier option later?


No, if you choose the basic plan you are not able to move to the premier plan.



If I choose the premier option, can i move to the basic option later?


Yes, but only after the benefit has been in place for 3 years.



When does my coverage start?


Your coverage will start the first of the following month as long as there is enough time to process the application. Usually about 1 week. If you fill out your forms early, the benefits will start the day your employer sponsored benefits end. This includes any bridging options.



When do my benefits expire?


Your Benefits will never expire as long as you pay your premiums. If you live to be 150 years old, your benefits will too.



What are the specifics of my travel coverage?


As of February 1, 2018: The Policy provides payment for emergency medical treatment when traveling outside of the members' province  of residence or outside of Canada. Up to 180 days out of province. Up to 60 days out of country. 

You must be medically stable for 90 days prior to departure from your province of residence for members  under age 70; or 180 days prior to departure from your province for members age 70 but less than age 80. 

Currently travel coverage ends at age 80 but this is on the list of possible changes in the future.

If my spouse is not retired and collecting benefit from their current job can i sign on as single coverage now and switch to couple coverage once my spouse retires?


Yes, you can start by signing on as single coverage and when you are ready to switch to couple coverage it is as simple as filling out a "change request form" and sending it in for processing.


Are premiums monthly?


Yes, all premiums listed on the brochure are on a monthly basis.


If I did not have Extended Health Care and Dental Coverage on my plan at work because i was covered under my spouses plan, do i still qualify?


Yes, You would still qualify.


If you work for a School Board, you may have available to you a “Retirement Bridging” option which allows you to maintain your benefit for 6 months past your retirement date. The information says that a retiree should apply for the SMRA plan within 60 days of retiring.  If an employee takes advantage of the Bridging option, will this affect their ability to apply for the SMRA plan?


No it will not. If the employee decided to take advantage of the bridging option then he or she will have 60 days from the day the Bridged benefits ends. I would strongly recommend that you apply before then though so that there is no lapse in coverage.

E&O E.

© Saskatchewan Municipal Retiree Association